This year held so many positive surprises. I was kind of on auto-pilot. Perhaps there is truth in the fact that things happen in places and people that you least expect them to. Probably one of my favorite things about 2014.
(As always, you can view my past recaps like 2013's right here)
Here are my thoughts on the past 365 days...
(in no apparent order and still based on my opinion only)
- Take risks. You will never know what could be without trying. What's the worst that could happen?
- Know when to quit. Don't talk yourself out of it either.
- Children have this wonderful honesty about them. If only adults could adopt the same philosophy.
- Toddlers are the pickiest mouths to feed.
- You are never too old to turn your passion into a career.
- Forgiveness will help you grow to be a better person.
- Our family needs to vacation more often.
- You are never too old to become a better version of yourself.
- Wear bright lipstick. Embrace it.
- I wish we exhibited the same work/life balance as the Europeans do. Work consumes Americans and we are so dependent on our electronic devices. Myself included.
- Vlogging has replaced blogging. I don't know if I can bring myself to do video content.
- The Chicago restaurant scene is one to contend with. You watch people.
- I am so thankful that we were healthy this year.
- You can either embrace technology or get left behind.
- Nothing will make you feel more pulled together than a red lip, a good pair of denim and a fierce heel.
- Work hard. Nothing will come easy to you.
- I hope one of my girls is a chef. Seriously.
- There is nothing wrong with being passionate.
- Dress the part. Fake it until you make it.
- Trust is built on eye contact. You can sell anyone anything if you can look them in the eyes and tell them you are capable of creating excellence.
- Buy the damn shoes. Jesus, buy them already.
- Successful people aren't just lucky. They worked their tails off for it.
- Be your most authentic self. There's no one else like you. Own it.
- Make friends with successful people.
- Fresh flowers can turn any bad day on its head.
- It's ok to admit when you don't know what you are doing.
- Find beauty in the daily ordinary.
- No matter how much of a jerk someone is - be kind to them. It will make them cringe inside and that is secretly gratifying for me. #truth.
- In other news, I love me a good #hashtag.
- Difficult clients build character.
- There were 2x's this year that I got to take a nap with Lola and she laid still to cuddle. Those were two awesome moments. Beyond that, she sucks to sleep with.
- Live in color. Lots of it.
- Mark Wahlberg is highly underrated. Is there a role he isn't good in?
- I'm really excited for the donut trend to be laid to rest.
- And burgers, too. People...how many burgers can we all eat?
- I have to tell you that I cannot get enough of this song.
- Sometimes I wonder if other 3.5 year olds are as funny as my Olivia. I mean, she really has developed a funny bone.
- We nicknamed Lola "Animal" this year because she hits the accelerator on life. The kid has no fear.
- Good neighbors are an awesome thing to have. Restores my faith in the human race.
- Never, ever drink cheap wine. Life is too short.
Happy New Year's, guys. Make this one count.