With the holidays in full swing, it's only fitting that I chose today's topic. I can't say I've ever written about it before but I think it's time. At this stage in my life, I've been to many-an-event or holiday party...some fabulous and some completely "meh" but all contributed to a greater understanding of not only what makes a wonderful hostess but also...what makes a pleasant guest. The end goal is easy...get invited to the next fabulous soiree! Easy enough right? Not so fast, slick...here's a few things to consider:
- Consider the source. I don't care if your hostess works FT or not at all. I don't care if she is putting on the entire event or if she hired staff to do it for her. Him, too. Hosting an event is WORK! From gathering a list of invitees to outreach to decor to coordinating vendors, dishes and the like...it's a big job. For that reason alone, don't text/call/email or try to communicate with your hostess at the 11th hour (within 48 hours of said event happening) asking for directions, special favors, etc. She is BUSY! Google is an amazing tool that we all have at our fingertips.
- Need a helping hand? Even if she declines, always ask your hostess if she needs help. A dish? Set-up preparation? An extra bag of ice? Ask in advance and make yourself available. Sometimes it's just nice when people acknowledge the work you're putting in that affords them a wonderful, festive night out.
- Can I get a +1? No. No you may not have a +1. If the invitation does not indicate that you may bring a guest of any kind then I'll break it down for you: the hostess does not want randoms at her party. OR she has a budget and is keeping watch of her dollah bills, yo. Don't even go there. Instead, show up with a bottle of bubbles and a smile on your face.
- RSVP with purpose! Think before you commit. There's nothing worse than 10 people backing out of an event because they double-booked themselves or didn't think to put it on their calendar. Sickness is one thing but consider this...generally the hostess will purchase party goods and edibles at minimum within 48 hours of the event taking place. Be a dear and RSVP so she knows how much to buy and doesn't lose money in the process by last minute cancellations.
- The pleasure is all mine. Always show up with a hostess gift. It doesn't have to be stupendously expensive...just a token. A nice bottle of their favorite spirit is sufficient. Why not try a festive, floral bouquet? It's basically your ticket to ride and be awarded best guest EVAAAAAA.
- TEAMWORK. You know what the worst part of a party is? The dishes! If you can see out of both pupils, ask for a dish towel and get to work. I have to tell you that this ranks the highest on my hostess'ing wish list. When my parents or in-laws offer to help with the dishes...in all honesty, I want to lay down on the ground and start weeping because I.am.that.tired. It's the most generous gift of all. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I would rather you skip the hostess gift and just offer a helping hand at the end of the event. That, my friends, elevates you into rock star status quickly...in my books at least!
What do you think? Am I missing any "Dear Abby" tips that are a must? Do tell! I love hosting and planning for events...I'm all about the creative process! And...because sharing is caring...I thought today's subject might resonate just a teeny weeny bit or at least make you think twice.
Happy socializing! xo
I posted a blog last week on shopping. It wasn't ground breaking and I've shared this type of content many-a-time before. Once in awhile a reader will comment on a particular item they, too are fawning over. It's just fun, superfluous content. The interesting thing about this post is that it really rubbed one reader the wrong way. I mentioned it extensively on my IG stories but in case you missed it...here's what my friend, "Laney" had to say...
Hi! Happy Friday! Although somewhat risky, I thought we'd do a little exercise today! For the first time in eight years I want to open up the floor and answer all of your burning questions. I've never done this before but I thought it could be a fun way to connect as a community and I've seen so many influencers do the same. It really changed my perspective on the individual behind the brand. So...what do you think?
Sometimes I wish Lisa had permanent residency in my home. On those challenging days when nothing seems to be going right, I would take solace in the fact that Lisa would have a mean cocktail waiting for me as soon as the clock turned happy hour. This girl knows how to whip up a strong drink and not just one...but an entire collection of craft cocktails!
I just returned from another Mexican adventure. Let me start with the simple fact that Mexico is always a good idea. Always. Two back to back trips further cemented my love for this country. That said, with any travel comes tiny moments of clarity. Some are welcome and some are just a drag to face. So let's start with the good stuff...
If you want the cut and dry of why the tech community loves Katy Lynch, see answer #10. Actually, that's why I love her, too.
I met Katy a little over a year ago and I was instantly inspired by her genuine support for my agency and her bubbly demeanor.
Everyday was a surprise in Guadalajara. And I mean that in every sense of the word. We'd wake up to beautiful breakfasts and come home to thoughtful gifts. It was unreal. Day 2 was just what the doctor ordered. Our itinerary included breakfast at Café Barra Café followed by a short trek to the landmark spa and boutique hotel, Hacienda El Carmen.
Bit my bit, and surely through my social media, I'm sure you are aware of the amazing trip I just returned from. A select few Chicago influencers were invited to travel to Guadalajara, Mexico to experience the vibrant culture, art, music, cuisine and so much more that this magical city has to offer. And it was magic!
If you're just starting to think about your bikini bod for summer...it's time to get a move on! Girl - it's June! While achieving optimum health isn't an overnight sensation, my friend Michelle Amore is THE rockstar of the Chicago fitness landscape. Rock hard abs backed by science...yes, she has them but she can help you achieve them, too!
You know those days when you can't find a thing to wear in your closet. *raises hand...today!* Well, there isn't an app for that (or is there?) but there is a magical, unicorn of a human being who can certainly help and her name is Katie Schuppler! With over seven years in the business, she is the human version of a fashion app. She can pull accessories at the drop of a hat and purge your closet even faster. She's your go-to fashionista in a pinch and she's been werkin' the scene since inception.
Familiar with BaubleBar? Who isn't right? Ever wonder what it was like to launch and how it all began? *raises hand* I always find these stories fascinating and today my friend Nina - the VP of Brand Marketing and also one of the original crew, is here to share the scoop on a day in the life of this accessory giant and what lies ahead. Take a seat...you're in for a sparkly treat!