I wrote what Lucy taught me about life here. Today I'm writing about what she's taught me about business. Think I'm kidding? P/S That's my Lucy and my husband. I adore that picture of her. Still think about her every day...
But back to business. My husband and I sat reflecting about some of her funnier traits last night and there is some validity behind these learnings. Dogs are not stupid so indulge me on this one. And do share what your furry friend has taught you...you know they co-conspire don't you?
- Sometimes you have to eat your own shit to get ahead. - This was my husband's. Just gonna put that right out there. Also, sometimes dogs...well...they do the above. It's frankly the worst BUT there is a lesson here. Sometimes we make mistakes in business. Be honest with yourself and the client, own it, find the lesson and create a new process so it doesn't happen again...most important - move on! We are all human. Definitely don't blame your mistake on someone else!
- The loudest barker gets the most attention. - In sales there is a finesse to closing the deal and it certainly doesn't happen by waiting for the client to take the lead. They are too focused on their own business! Frankly, you need to be comfortable asking for the sale and getting a little aggressive. Bark enough and someone will answer you.
- If you wait long enough you'll get some table scraps. - Sometimes it feels like that deal or your career path has no end in sight. Truth is, with enough hard work and persistence...you can achieve anything you want. Those table scraps generally become a nice, juicy steak!
- Don't be afraid to have a staring contest with your owner (client). - One of the biggest tricks to closing that deal, building trust, landing that interview is simple: stare people in the eyes. Okay, maybe not stare but definitely look people in the eyes. It's alarming to them. But, it also puts them in focus and in the hot seat to engage with you. Pay attention...most people don't look you in the eyes when they speak to you. They're always looking over your shoulder. It tells a lot about where their priorities are and if you have their attention.
- Everyone wants to play ball. - In business, there is no relationship wasted. Everyone wants to get in the game. It's utterly amazing how many relationships have come into play from past networking. I'm talking to people from three jobs ago and they all bring value to the table. Never burn a bridge and never walk away from a coffee or a good handshake. You never know if they might become your next referral or even better, your next client!
Hope you've enjoyed my canine morsels for today. I've got some really amazing Fearless Friday's lined up including an entrepreneur from the cosmetic industry and more! If you know of a great candidate for my Fearless Friday series...email me at email@example.com.
I posted a blog last week on shopping. It wasn't ground breaking and I've shared this type of content many-a-time before. Once in awhile a reader will comment on a particular item they, too are fawning over. It's just fun, superfluous content. The interesting thing about this post is that it really rubbed one reader the wrong way. I mentioned it extensively on my IG stories but in case you missed it...here's what my friend, "Laney" had to say...
Hi! Happy Friday! Although somewhat risky, I thought we'd do a little exercise today! For the first time in eight years I want to open up the floor and answer all of your burning questions. I've never done this before but I thought it could be a fun way to connect as a community and I've seen so many influencers do the same. It really changed my perspective on the individual behind the brand. So...what do you think?
Sometimes I wish Lisa had permanent residency in my home. On those challenging days when nothing seems to be going right, I would take solace in the fact that Lisa would have a mean cocktail waiting for me as soon as the clock turned happy hour. This girl knows how to whip up a strong drink and not just one...but an entire collection of craft cocktails!
I just returned from another Mexican adventure. Let me start with the simple fact that Mexico is always a good idea. Always. Two back to back trips further cemented my love for this country. That said, with any travel comes tiny moments of clarity. Some are welcome and some are just a drag to face. So let's start with the good stuff...
If you want the cut and dry of why the tech community loves Katy Lynch, see answer #10. Actually, that's why I love her, too.
I met Katy a little over a year ago and I was instantly inspired by her genuine support for my agency and her bubbly demeanor.
Everyday was a surprise in Guadalajara. And I mean that in every sense of the word. We'd wake up to beautiful breakfasts and come home to thoughtful gifts. It was unreal. Day 2 was just what the doctor ordered. Our itinerary included breakfast at Café Barra Café followed by a short trek to the landmark spa and boutique hotel, Hacienda El Carmen.
Bit my bit, and surely through my social media, I'm sure you are aware of the amazing trip I just returned from. A select few Chicago influencers were invited to travel to Guadalajara, Mexico to experience the vibrant culture, art, music, cuisine and so much more that this magical city has to offer. And it was magic!
If you're just starting to think about your bikini bod for summer...it's time to get a move on! Girl - it's June! While achieving optimum health isn't an overnight sensation, my friend Michelle Amore is THE rockstar of the Chicago fitness landscape. Rock hard abs backed by science...yes, she has them but she can help you achieve them, too!
You know those days when you can't find a thing to wear in your closet. *raises hand...today!* Well, there isn't an app for that (or is there?) but there is a magical, unicorn of a human being who can certainly help and her name is Katie Schuppler! With over seven years in the business, she is the human version of a fashion app. She can pull accessories at the drop of a hat and purge your closet even faster. She's your go-to fashionista in a pinch and she's been werkin' the scene since inception.
Familiar with BaubleBar? Who isn't right? Ever wonder what it was like to launch and how it all began? *raises hand* I always find these stories fascinating and today my friend Nina - the VP of Brand Marketing and also one of the original crew, is here to share the scoop on a day in the life of this accessory giant and what lies ahead. Take a seat...you're in for a sparkly treat!