Wednesday was just a no good, very bad day. I suppose we're all due for one of those. I'm starting to think the minimum is once a month. That's my average ratio at least, one crap day out of every 30. That ain't bad right?
Although, when it hits...it's a real shit show. Wednesday was a complete comedy of errors. It was just like one thing after another. Usually by the fifth or sixth incident, I just have to let out a snort because you can't make this stuff up. It went something like this:
- I had an awkward moment with a client via email. Let's leave it at that.
- My face was melting off at a photo shoot due to Chicago's humidity factor. Humidity is just a bitch and it makes me cranky.
- Some dude on 94 got angry that I changed lanes and rode my ass for five miles swerving next to me every mile or so to stare at me and yell obscenities. #normal
- Later that day, I boarded the Metra to attend an event in the city and when I sat down, the woman behind me got up muttering that I didn't need to dump the entire bottle of perfume on myself. By the way, I didn't. Lady, if you're reading this...get a roadie for the next ride home to take the edge off. Ghish!
- My cabbie (en route to event) decided he wanted to interview me and I wasn't in the mood so I only solicited one-word answers. When I got out he told me I had a very manly voice and asked if I was a manager of some sort. What?! No! Just let me outta the cab!
- For the big finish...Mother Nature paid a visit and offered up a heaping dose of cramps with a side of nausea while I was at said event. Did I mention I was wearing a pale pink skirt that night? Awe-some.
So, you see, I'm quite human. I simply avoid writing about all the bummer days. The best thing about Wednesday though, came from none other, a fellow blogger. She made mention of my happiness post awhile back and how much it resonated with her. Of course, it's always nice to hear that but it also got me thinking...how do I reverse a bad day?
Well, here's the skinny...because even though I do choose happiness, some days are just do-overs!
- I quit while I'm ahead. As in, I close the laptop and I hang it up for the night even if that means I didn't finish that project or that blog post, for that matter.
- I work out. It's so cliche but it truly is a mood enhancer. I picture every punch or kick is really me punching that angry driver on 94 that day!
- I drink wine with my husband and watch Millionaire Real Estate and Flipping Out. I love Jeff Lewis. This is my TV season about now.
- I call one of my outta state friends. I don't see them regularly hence it's always a breath of fresh air. I like to hear other people talk and just listen.
- I water the plants outside. No joke. Betcha didn't know I had a green thumb?! It takes all of 20 minutes but it's a mindless activity and I just zone out with the hose. (that sounds weird doesn't it?)
- I find hilarious quotes on Pinterest about drinking gallons of wine or eating loads of cookie dough with reckless abandon and then I text my partner because I know she's always all in for a laugh and will appreciate my humor.
- I hug it out. Doesn't matter if it's my husband or my kiddos. Hugs remove stress inch by inch.
- I scream a profanity. Simple as that. With gumption and usually the F word.
- After I bathe and tuck in my kids; I bathe and tuck in myself. At 9 o'clock. Because really...who the hell cares? Judge me. World = 1, Johanna = 0.
Rocket science? Nah. Sometimes we all just need a simple reminder that "momma said there'd be days like this" and it's ok to surrender. There's nothing a strong cup of coffee and a new morning can't cure. Take that universe!
Photography by Hallie Duesenberg
Hi! Happy Friday! Although somewhat risky, I thought we'd do a little exercise today! For the first time in eight years I want to open up the floor and answer all of your burning questions. I've never done this before but I thought it could be a fun way to connect as a community and I've seen so many influencers do the same. It really changed my perspective on the individual behind the brand. So...what do you think?
Sometimes I wish Lisa had permanent residency in my home. On those challenging days when nothing seems to be going right, I would take solace in the fact that Lisa would have a mean cocktail waiting for me as soon as the clock turned happy hour. This girl knows how to whip up a strong drink and not just one...but an entire collection of craft cocktails!
I just returned from another Mexican adventure. Let me start with the simple fact that Mexico is always a good idea. Always. Two back to back trips further cemented my love for this country. That said, with any travel comes tiny moments of clarity. Some are welcome and some are just a drag to face. So let's start with the good stuff...
If you want the cut and dry of why the tech community loves Katy Lynch, see answer #10. Actually, that's why I love her, too.
I met Katy a little over a year ago and I was instantly inspired by her genuine support for my agency and her bubbly demeanor.
Everyday was a surprise in Guadalajara. And I mean that in every sense of the word. We'd wake up to beautiful breakfasts and come home to thoughtful gifts. It was unreal. Day 2 was just what the doctor ordered. Our itinerary included breakfast at Café Barra Café followed by a short trek to the landmark spa and boutique hotel, Hacienda El Carmen.
Bit my bit, and surely through my social media, I'm sure you are aware of the amazing trip I just returned from. A select few Chicago influencers were invited to travel to Guadalajara, Mexico to experience the vibrant culture, art, music, cuisine and so much more that this magical city has to offer. And it was magic!
If you're just starting to think about your bikini bod for summer...it's time to get a move on! Girl - it's June! While achieving optimum health isn't an overnight sensation, my friend Michelle Amore is THE rockstar of the Chicago fitness landscape. Rock hard abs backed by science...yes, she has them but she can help you achieve them, too!
You know those days when you can't find a thing to wear in your closet. *raises hand...today!* Well, there isn't an app for that (or is there?) but there is a magical, unicorn of a human being who can certainly help and her name is Katie Schuppler! With over seven years in the business, she is the human version of a fashion app. She can pull accessories at the drop of a hat and purge your closet even faster. She's your go-to fashionista in a pinch and she's been werkin' the scene since inception.
Familiar with BaubleBar? Who isn't right? Ever wonder what it was like to launch and how it all began? *raises hand* I always find these stories fascinating and today my friend Nina - the VP of Brand Marketing and also one of the original crew, is here to share the scoop on a day in the life of this accessory giant and what lies ahead. Take a seat...you're in for a sparkly treat!
The best things in life are free. Laughter being one of them - most underrated gift anyone could give you. And, it just so happens that today's Fearless Friday feature, Janet, makes me laugh constantly. I've traveled with her, soon again, I've cocktailed with her, I've had long talks with her...shoot, the only thing we haven't done is work out but we've even talked about that, too! I will tell you, Janet cares and she is very much supportive of her girls. I've observed over the years. Even with everything she is balancing...motherhood, marriage, career, blogging, philanthropy ...she always makes time for her friends. And, she will always make you laugh. That is the best trait in a friend - better than 100 lattes or 1M pairs of Gucci heels. And well heeled, she is!