A fresh start. A clean slate. I love the promise of a new year. For me, it's equivalent to a freshly laundered bed. Jump in and cozy up because we've got 362 days left of opportunity. And while it's easy to get burnt out in marriage, work, in parenting, in friendship, in blogging...taking time off provided me perspective. With that, my first post of the year!
I don't believe in resolutions. I ALWAYS break them. Without a doubt. But I do believe in strong intentions - so today, I want to share five intentions that I believe will help me live a happier life in 2017. Some may seem trite but I happen to think it's the small things that snowball into one great thing. In this case...happiness.
- Drink a glass of hot water with lemon every morning. It's really simple, flush out the toxins (especially this past holiday - woof!) and regulate my body. Coffee can wait.
- Resist the urge to be at everyone's beck and call. This falls into the work bucket. Simply put - if taking a call on the weekends or evenings mean I take time away from my spouse or children - it's not a good option. I am working really hard to disengage and not create a habit of enabling clients to demand my time off the clock.
- Work out with a friend. I'm generally a lone wolf in the fitness arena but I think it would be fun to try out some of these new, wacky classes and sweat collaboratively. Perhaps it's the multi-tasker in me - QT with my girls and crushing calories. Sounds good right?
- Spread my friendship wings. There are some really great people that I'd like to get to know better in 2017. Some in my own backyard. Genuine people that are uplifting and perhaps, may need a little uplifting themselves. I'd like to be that person for them.
- Communicate better. I often shut down with stress or stare blindly at my screen. Instead, I should put my work down and get a good night's sleep. I could work on my approach with people, too. Perhaps a combination of both will allow me to build stronger relationships with my family, friends and my clients. I think this is the toughest of them all!
Five intentions...right there. Some are really hard for me but I think if I am cognizant of them, good habits will form and replace the old behaviors.
Do you set intentions or resolutions? I'd love to hear! Happy New Year!
Photography by Sed Bona
Check out today's link ups: Pink Sole, Musings of a Housewife, Fashionista Momma, Life of Meg, More Pieces of Me, The Foley Fam, Watch Out for the Woetsmans Fizz and Frosting, Style Elixir, I Do deClaire, Garay Treasures
Hi! Happy Friday! Although somewhat risky, I thought we'd do a little exercise today! For the first time in eight years I want to open up the floor and answer all of your burning questions. I've never done this before but I thought it could be a fun way to connect as a community and I've seen so many influencers do the same. It really changed my perspective on the individual behind the brand. So...what do you think?
Sometimes I wish Lisa had permanent residency in my home. On those challenging days when nothing seems to be going right, I would take solace in the fact that Lisa would have a mean cocktail waiting for me as soon as the clock turned happy hour. This girl knows how to whip up a strong drink and not just one...but an entire collection of craft cocktails!
I just returned from another Mexican adventure. Let me start with the simple fact that Mexico is always a good idea. Always. Two back to back trips further cemented my love for this country. That said, with any travel comes tiny moments of clarity. Some are welcome and some are just a drag to face. So let's start with the good stuff...
If you want the cut and dry of why the tech community loves Katy Lynch, see answer #10. Actually, that's why I love her, too.
I met Katy a little over a year ago and I was instantly inspired by her genuine support for my agency and her bubbly demeanor.
Everyday was a surprise in Guadalajara. And I mean that in every sense of the word. We'd wake up to beautiful breakfasts and come home to thoughtful gifts. It was unreal. Day 2 was just what the doctor ordered. Our itinerary included breakfast at Café Barra Café followed by a short trek to the landmark spa and boutique hotel, Hacienda El Carmen.
Bit my bit, and surely through my social media, I'm sure you are aware of the amazing trip I just returned from. A select few Chicago influencers were invited to travel to Guadalajara, Mexico to experience the vibrant culture, art, music, cuisine and so much more that this magical city has to offer. And it was magic!
If you're just starting to think about your bikini bod for summer...it's time to get a move on! Girl - it's June! While achieving optimum health isn't an overnight sensation, my friend Michelle Amore is THE rockstar of the Chicago fitness landscape. Rock hard abs backed by science...yes, she has them but she can help you achieve them, too!
You know those days when you can't find a thing to wear in your closet. *raises hand...today!* Well, there isn't an app for that (or is there?) but there is a magical, unicorn of a human being who can certainly help and her name is Katie Schuppler! With over seven years in the business, she is the human version of a fashion app. She can pull accessories at the drop of a hat and purge your closet even faster. She's your go-to fashionista in a pinch and she's been werkin' the scene since inception.
Familiar with BaubleBar? Who isn't right? Ever wonder what it was like to launch and how it all began? *raises hand* I always find these stories fascinating and today my friend Nina - the VP of Brand Marketing and also one of the original crew, is here to share the scoop on a day in the life of this accessory giant and what lies ahead. Take a seat...you're in for a sparkly treat!
The best things in life are free. Laughter being one of them - most underrated gift anyone could give you. And, it just so happens that today's Fearless Friday feature, Janet, makes me laugh constantly. I've traveled with her, soon again, I've cocktailed with her, I've had long talks with her...shoot, the only thing we haven't done is work out but we've even talked about that, too! I will tell you, Janet cares and she is very much supportive of her girls. I've observed over the years. Even with everything she is balancing...motherhood, marriage, career, blogging, philanthropy ...she always makes time for her friends. And, she will always make you laugh. That is the best trait in a friend - better than 100 lattes or 1M pairs of Gucci heels. And well heeled, she is!