A fresh start. A clean slate. I love the promise of a new year. For me, it's equivalent to a freshly laundered bed. Jump in and cozy up because we've got 362 days left of opportunity. And while it's easy to get burnt out in marriage, work, in parenting, in friendship, in blogging...taking time off provided me perspective. With that, my first post of the year!
I don't believe in resolutions. I ALWAYS break them. Without a doubt. But I do believe in strong intentions - so today, I want to share five intentions that I believe will help me live a happier life in 2017. Some may seem trite but I happen to think it's the small things that snowball into one great thing. In this case...happiness.
- Drink a glass of hot water with lemon every morning. It's really simple, flush out the toxins (especially this past holiday - woof!) and regulate my body. Coffee can wait.
- Resist the urge to be at everyone's beck and call. This falls into the work bucket. Simply put - if taking a call on the weekends or evenings mean I take time away from my spouse or children - it's not a good option. I am working really hard to disengage and not create a habit of enabling clients to demand my time off the clock.
- Work out with a friend. I'm generally a lone wolf in the fitness arena but I think it would be fun to try out some of these new, wacky classes and sweat collaboratively. Perhaps it's the multi-tasker in me - QT with my girls and crushing calories. Sounds good right?
- Spread my friendship wings. There are some really great people that I'd like to get to know better in 2017. Some in my own backyard. Genuine people that are uplifting and perhaps, may need a little uplifting themselves. I'd like to be that person for them.
- Communicate better. I often shut down with stress or stare blindly at my screen. Instead, I should put my work down and get a good night's sleep. I could work on my approach with people, too. Perhaps a combination of both will allow me to build stronger relationships with my family, friends and my clients. I think this is the toughest of them all!
Five intentions...right there. Some are really hard for me but I think if I am cognizant of them, good habits will form and replace the old behaviors.
Do you set intentions or resolutions? I'd love to hear! Happy New Year!
Photography by Sed Bona
Check out today's link ups: Pink Sole, Musings of a Housewife, Fashionista Momma, Life of Meg, More Pieces of Me, The Foley Fam, Watch Out for the Woetsmans Fizz and Frosting, Style Elixir, I Do deClaire, Garay Treasures
I've saved this photo for a year. Can you believe it? One of my very talented friends who happens to shoot on the regular for my company shot it when I wasn't paying attention...on a Halloween shoot, natch.
It's always fun to look back on the last 30 days and review life as we know it. Fall is such a busy time of year. It usually leaves me breathless but in the best way. It's been so long since I've done one of these that I felt today appropriate. I've had a bit of a black cloud over my head as of late but TODAY the sun is shining and it's Friday!
Like every day, you can always come to 101 things I love to support your shopping habit. Old habits die hard. <wink, wink> I will say this though...I will always find you a good deal and I am well researched. That's a promise! I am sure my husband is gritting his teeth reading this.
I posted a blog last week on shopping. It wasn't ground breaking and I've shared this type of content many-a-time before. Once in awhile a reader will comment on a particular item they, too are fawning over. It's just fun, superfluous content. The interesting thing about this post is that it really rubbed one reader the wrong way. I mentioned it extensively on my IG stories but in case you missed it...here's what my friend, "Laney" had to say...
Hi! Happy Friday! Although somewhat risky, I thought we'd do a little exercise today! For the first time in eight years I want to open up the floor and answer all of your burning questions. I've never done this before but I thought it could be a fun way to connect as a community and I've seen so many influencers do the same. It really changed my perspective on the individual behind the brand. So...what do you think?
Sometimes I wish Lisa had permanent residency in my home. On those challenging days when nothing seems to be going right, I would take solace in the fact that Lisa would have a mean cocktail waiting for me as soon as the clock turned happy hour. This girl knows how to whip up a strong drink and not just one...but an entire collection of craft cocktails!
I just returned from another Mexican adventure. Let me start with the simple fact that Mexico is always a good idea. Always. Two back to back trips further cemented my love for this country. That said, with any travel comes tiny moments of clarity. Some are welcome and some are just a drag to face. So let's start with the good stuff...
If you want the cut and dry of why the tech community loves Katy Lynch, see answer #10. Actually, that's why I love her, too.
I met Katy a little over a year ago and I was instantly inspired by her genuine support for my agency and her bubbly demeanor.
Everyday was a surprise in Guadalajara. And I mean that in every sense of the word. We'd wake up to beautiful breakfasts and come home to thoughtful gifts. It was unreal. Day 2 was just what the doctor ordered. Our itinerary included breakfast at Café Barra Café followed by a short trek to the landmark spa and boutique hotel, Hacienda El Carmen.
Bit my bit, and surely through my social media, I'm sure you are aware of the amazing trip I just returned from. A select few Chicago influencers were invited to travel to Guadalajara, Mexico to experience the vibrant culture, art, music, cuisine and so much more that this magical city has to offer. And it was magic!