Once you hit your mid-30's...I sort of feel like the years blend. There's nothing earth shattering that happens which I've come to appreciate because my 20's were so rocky. Sometimes no drama and auto-pilot is a good thing.
I'm at peace with a lot of things and in the name of my birthday last week, I thought I'd share. (why not, right?!)
- Comparison is the thief of joy. It really is true...take it from someone who blogs 5x's a week and stares at social media for a living. Your life is really great right now.
- You are beautiful the way you are right now. Today. No one else is like you.
- Be present. I have to say I am learning this one slowly but surely. I am not perfect but I am trying to live a more rewarding life. I'm trying not to work as much on the weekends and stare at my family; not my phone.
- Get healthy. I haven't been taking care of myself since I started Oak St. Social. That changed last week. I'm on a new eating + fitness regime hoping to re-discover more energy and a toner tush. Fingers crossed.
- Don't give advice unless solicited. I'm a very outspoken person and it's taken a lot for me to harness my tongue but I'm trying. It forces me to think through my response and become a better listener.
- Be with people that make you feel good about yourself. I try really hard to be liked by everyone. Always have. I'm still learning that the moment the tension releases from my shoulders and I audibly laugh out loud...I'm with my people. That circle has expanded (thankfully) but I know who my people are.
- Work with integrity. This is a truism that has followed me my whole life actually. Always tell your clients the truth...when you fail and when you succeed. The rewards will come full circle.
- Work a lot! Captain Obvious, here but starting your own company means you better WERK, beotch! It's no joke. There is no vacation and there is no sleep. I have learned to be at peace with organized chaos.
- It's okay to have alone time. My "alone" moments are few and far between but I do revel in the silence. That takes the form of hitting the drive through for a cup of coffee to working late at night in silence. Even a grocery store run can set me straight again.
- Have that dance party. No, seriously. Turn up the music really loud and break a sweat. We've done this for years with my girls and I always looked at it as a favor, even a bonding moment with my daughters but really it's a stress reliever for me. Double points!
Today's self-made babe is full of positivity. She is a bright light in any room which is not easy to come by. She's fashion forward and unforgiving but she owns it and that's what I love about Tali. Something tells me her business is just about to explode so take a read below.
Welcome to my newly rebranded entrepreneurial series. You may remember Fearless Friday from the past but this is the 2018 reimagined version. I brought it back for many reasons but the primary reason was because of YOU. You guys loved this series! I took a break because I recall it being a lot of work to conduct interviews and beyond. So, instead, I took my own advice and worked smarter, not harder.
Let me start by saying that I am not a physician. Not even close. But I can say that for almost 37 years I struggled with food, digestion and the feeling it left me. I have a great relationship with food. I love it and I love to try new things BUT gluten and I were never meant to be friends and that epiphany hit roughly two years ago when I grew tired of the bloat, the gas, the bathroom issues and the overall appearance of looking like I was in my second trimester 24/7.
2017 was a difficult year for many people that I genuinely love and care about. In fact, it felt like the world was somewhat turned on its head with everything ranging from natural disasters to horrible tragedies to the ugly truth behind "me, too" in the media. Hard to watch, hard to listen to and hard to put one foot in front of the other when you're left wondering what you can do to help. What I did love about this year is that we all spoke up. It's a positive change and yes, the topics were taboo but so what? Let's get it all out on the table, I say!
I feel like life is moving at the speed of sound and with it...my blog has been sitting in the corner weeping for more frequency. I am TRYING but man, this time of year is intensely busy. I decided to do an Instagram round up of all the goodness we are experiencing this month and last month.
Today I do not feel like I want to post about fashion. Today is one of those Truth Tuesday posts. I've been reflecting quite a bit about all the change 2017 has brought. Some of it has been pretty fabulous while others have been quite stressful. With only two months to go, I can safely say that 2017 was not one of my favorite years and the word on the street is that many people feel the same. 2017 was a year of change.
And 2018...if you're listening...you better bring it!
I've saved this photo for a year. Can you believe it? One of my very talented friends who happens to shoot on the regular for my company shot it when I wasn't paying attention...on a Halloween shoot, natch.
It's always fun to look back on the last 30 days and review life as we know it. Fall is such a busy time of year. It usually leaves me breathless but in the best way. It's been so long since I've done one of these that I felt today appropriate. I've had a bit of a black cloud over my head as of late but TODAY the sun is shining and it's Friday!
Like every day, you can always come to 101 things I love to support your shopping habit. Old habits die hard. <wink, wink> I will say this though...I will always find you a good deal and I am well researched. That's a promise! I am sure my husband is gritting his teeth reading this.
I posted a blog last week on shopping. It wasn't ground breaking and I've shared this type of content many-a-time before. Once in awhile a reader will comment on a particular item they, too are fawning over. It's just fun, superfluous content. The interesting thing about this post is that it really rubbed one reader the wrong way. I mentioned it extensively on my IG stories but in case you missed it...here's what my friend, "Laney" had to say...