Once you hit your mid-30's...I sort of feel like the years blend. There's nothing earth shattering that happens which I've come to appreciate because my 20's were so rocky. Sometimes no drama and auto-pilot is a good thing.
I'm at peace with a lot of things and in the name of my birthday last week, I thought I'd share. (why not, right?!)
- Comparison is the thief of joy. It really is true...take it from someone who blogs 5x's a week and stares at social media for a living. Your life is really great right now.
- You are beautiful the way you are right now. Today. No one else is like you.
- Be present. I have to say I am learning this one slowly but surely. I am not perfect but I am trying to live a more rewarding life. I'm trying not to work as much on the weekends and stare at my family; not my phone.
- Get healthy. I haven't been taking care of myself since I started Oak St. Social. That changed last week. I'm on a new eating + fitness regime hoping to re-discover more energy and a toner tush. Fingers crossed.
- Don't give advice unless solicited. I'm a very outspoken person and it's taken a lot for me to harness my tongue but I'm trying. It forces me to think through my response and become a better listener.
- Be with people that make you feel good about yourself. I try really hard to be liked by everyone. Always have. I'm still learning that the moment the tension releases from my shoulders and I audibly laugh out loud...I'm with my people. That circle has expanded (thankfully) but I know who my people are.
- Work with integrity. This is a truism that has followed me my whole life actually. Always tell your clients the truth...when you fail and when you succeed. The rewards will come full circle.
- Work a lot! Captain Obvious, here but starting your own company means you better WERK, beotch! It's no joke. There is no vacation and there is no sleep. I have learned to be at peace with organized chaos.
- It's okay to have alone time. My "alone" moments are few and far between but I do revel in the silence. That takes the form of hitting the drive through for a cup of coffee to working late at night in silence. Even a grocery store run can set me straight again.
- Have that dance party. No, seriously. Turn up the music really loud and break a sweat. We've done this for years with my girls and I always looked at it as a favor, even a bonding moment with my daughters but really it's a stress reliever for me. Double points!
Hi! Happy Friday! Although somewhat risky, I thought we'd do a little exercise today! For the first time in eight years I want to open up the floor and answer all of your burning questions. I've never done this before but I thought it could be a fun way to connect as a community and I've seen so many influencers do the same. It really changed my perspective on the individual behind the brand. So...what do you think?
Sometimes I wish Lisa had permanent residency in my home. On those challenging days when nothing seems to be going right, I would take solace in the fact that Lisa would have a mean cocktail waiting for me as soon as the clock turned happy hour. This girl knows how to whip up a strong drink and not just one...but an entire collection of craft cocktails!
I just returned from another Mexican adventure. Let me start with the simple fact that Mexico is always a good idea. Always. Two back to back trips further cemented my love for this country. That said, with any travel comes tiny moments of clarity. Some are welcome and some are just a drag to face. So let's start with the good stuff...
If you want the cut and dry of why the tech community loves Katy Lynch, see answer #10. Actually, that's why I love her, too.
I met Katy a little over a year ago and I was instantly inspired by her genuine support for my agency and her bubbly demeanor.
Everyday was a surprise in Guadalajara. And I mean that in every sense of the word. We'd wake up to beautiful breakfasts and come home to thoughtful gifts. It was unreal. Day 2 was just what the doctor ordered. Our itinerary included breakfast at Café Barra Café followed by a short trek to the landmark spa and boutique hotel, Hacienda El Carmen.
Bit my bit, and surely through my social media, I'm sure you are aware of the amazing trip I just returned from. A select few Chicago influencers were invited to travel to Guadalajara, Mexico to experience the vibrant culture, art, music, cuisine and so much more that this magical city has to offer. And it was magic!
If you're just starting to think about your bikini bod for summer...it's time to get a move on! Girl - it's June! While achieving optimum health isn't an overnight sensation, my friend Michelle Amore is THE rockstar of the Chicago fitness landscape. Rock hard abs backed by science...yes, she has them but she can help you achieve them, too!
You know those days when you can't find a thing to wear in your closet. *raises hand...today!* Well, there isn't an app for that (or is there?) but there is a magical, unicorn of a human being who can certainly help and her name is Katie Schuppler! With over seven years in the business, she is the human version of a fashion app. She can pull accessories at the drop of a hat and purge your closet even faster. She's your go-to fashionista in a pinch and she's been werkin' the scene since inception.
Familiar with BaubleBar? Who isn't right? Ever wonder what it was like to launch and how it all began? *raises hand* I always find these stories fascinating and today my friend Nina - the VP of Brand Marketing and also one of the original crew, is here to share the scoop on a day in the life of this accessory giant and what lies ahead. Take a seat...you're in for a sparkly treat!
The best things in life are free. Laughter being one of them - most underrated gift anyone could give you. And, it just so happens that today's Fearless Friday feature, Janet, makes me laugh constantly. I've traveled with her, soon again, I've cocktailed with her, I've had long talks with her...shoot, the only thing we haven't done is work out but we've even talked about that, too! I will tell you, Janet cares and she is very much supportive of her girls. I've observed over the years. Even with everything she is balancing...motherhood, marriage, career, blogging, philanthropy ...she always makes time for her friends. And, she will always make you laugh. That is the best trait in a friend - better than 100 lattes or 1M pairs of Gucci heels. And well heeled, she is!